You are herecontent / Send a Congratulatory Note to President-Elect Obama Using the Avaaz Wall of Well-Wishes
Send a Congratulatory Note to President-Elect Obama Using the Avaaz Wall of Well-Wishes
In just 24 hours, over 150,000 people from 189 countries have signed and sent a message for Barack Obama to our huge global wall in the centre of Washington DC, and it has been covered on CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera and in the US on front pages of two of the biggest newspapers and on the evening news!
Together, we're helping to seize Obama's election as a major global moment for unity and reconciliation, when the US can finally join with the world community in facing our common challenges together. We're congratulating Obama on his election and commitments to stop climate change, withdraw from Iraq, double aid for poverty, ban torture and more.
Avaaz's Global Message-to-Obama Wall in Washington DC has become THE place for citizens around the world to speak to Obama. If you haven't already, follow the link to see the Wall and send your message, and forward this email to friends and family who might want to join in: http://www.avaaz.org/en/million_messages_to_obama/98.php/?cl_tf_sign=1 .
Change will not come easily to the US or its foreign policy. Entrenched interests -- including oil companies, war contractors, and neo-con ideologists -- stand in the way. But those interests have always sought to divide us -- the greater international unity and goodwill we have, the better we'll be able to confront the challenges head on and make progress as one world. The Global Obama-Message Wall is a symbol of change and an investment in the new goodwill between the US and the world -- with major global climate change negotiations coming up next month, it will not be long before that good will is tested. Let's get to a million messages to Obama!
Ricken, Graziela, Iain, Brett, Paul, Alice, Milena, Paula, Ben and the whole Avaaz Team.
PS - here's a link to a report on many recent Avaaz campaigns.
And here are some key campaign promises made by Barack Obama, you can see his full platform here http://www.barackobama.com/issues/:
- Reduce the US's carbon emissions 80% by 2050 and play a strong positive role in negotiating a binding global treaty to replace the expiring Kyoto Protocol
- Withdraw all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months and keep no permanent bases in the country
- Establish a clear goal of eliminating all nuclear weapons across the globe
- Close the Guantanamo Bay detention center
- Double US aid to cut extreme poverty in half by 2015 and accelerate the fight against HIV/AIDS, tuberculoses and Malaria
- Open diplomatic talks with countries like Iran and Syria, to pursue peaceful resolution of tensions
- De-politicize military intelligence to avoid ever repeating the kind of manipulation that led the US into Iraq
- Launch a major diplomatic effort to stop the killings in Darfur
- Invest $150 billion over ten years to support renewable energy and get 1 million plug-in electric cars on the road by 2015