You are herecontent / 42 Reasons to Vote for Obama
42 Reasons to Vote for Obama
From Bob Fertik:
And here are 42 outstanding reasons to work your heart out, courtesy of Ben Brandzel:
1. Health care: High quality health care guaranteed to every American regardless of medical history or income, lower insurance premiums for everyone, and the freedom to chose our own doctor and our own plan.
2. Iraq: Bringing all combat troops home from Iraq within 16 months and no permanent bases.
3. Climate: Reduce America's carbon emissions 80% by 2050 and lead the world in negotiating a binding global treaty to replace the expiring Kyoto Protocol.
4. Taxes: Shifting the tax burden to reward work and cut taxes for 95% of American families while rolling back Bush's tax giveaways to the rich
5. Eliminate all income taxes for seniors making under $50,000 a year
6. Triple the Earned Income Tax credit, one of the most powerful anti-poverty programs ever
7. Raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2011 and index it to inflation (finally!)
8. Pass the Employee Free Choice Act, eliminating unfair barriers to organizing and rejuvenating the labor movement overnight
9. Establish a "Credit Card Bill of Rights" to protect consumers
10. Help every student afford college by provide a $4,000 tax credit and boosting Pell grants
11. Ensure workers can care for elderly parents and even attend children's' activities by expanding the Family and Medical Leave Act
12. Eliminate no-bid contracts for any government expenditure over $2500. Sorry Halliburton!
13. End the loophole that allows major corporations to incorporate off-shore and evade billions in taxes
14. Get 1 million plug-in electric cars on the road by 2015
15. Double fuel economy standards
16. Invest $150 billion over ten years to support renewable energy and create 5 million new green jobs
17. Allow individuals to generate electrify at home with solar or wind and then sell the excess power back to the utilities by creating a "Digital Smart Grid"
18. Offer voluntary, universal pre-school to all children
19. Send 30,000 highly qualified teachers to high-need areas
20. Double federal funding for after school programs
21. Bring broadband internet access to every community in America
22. Significantly increase federal support of stem cell research
23. Invest in public transit and high-speed national rail
24. Encourage growth from the bottom up by eliminating the capital gains tax on start-up small businesses
25. Only negotiate new trade agreements that contain vigorous labor and environmental protections
26. Focus diplomatic and military efforts on addressing real threats, like Al Qaeda
27. Revise the Patriot Act to protect Americans' rights
28. Close the Guantanamo Bay detention center
29. De-politicize military intelligence to avoid ever repeating the kind of mistakes that led us into Iraq
30. Fully fund veterans' health care and adopt a zero-tolerance policy for letting veterans fall into homelessness
31. Establish a clear goal of eliminating all nuclear weapons across the globe
32. Lead the world in stopping the genocide in Darfur
33. Save millions of lives and win allies around the world by doubling foreign assistance to cut extreme poverty in half by 2015 and accelerate the fight against HIV/AIDS, tuberculoses and Malaria (This one is definately my favorite)
34. No more "signing statements" that undermine legislative intent and subvert the constitution
35. Shine light into Washington with a searchable online database that easily connects the dots between all federal lobbying, tax earmarks, campaign finance filings, and Congressional ethics records
36. Triple AmeriCorps, double the Peace Corps
37. Cut corruption by prevent any political appointees from working on any regulations or contracts related to their former employer for two years (Sorry again, Haliburton!)
38. Ban all gifts from lobbyists to any executive branch employee
39. Work towards ending the pay gap for women by passing the Fair Pay Restoration Act
40. Ensure Americans are never again denied their right to vote by pass the Deceptive Practices and Voter Intimidation Act and fully funding the Help America Vote Act to guarantee that every vote is counted
41. Support equal rights and privileges for all same-sex couples and end discrimination against gays and lesbians in the military
42. Require polluters to pay for cleaning up their messes under the superfund program
After 8 years of fighting bad stuff, it kinda makes your head spin to think of all this change actually happening, huh? But it really could. And it's just the beginning. Cause this is the stuff Obama has already committed to. And America's progressives are just getting warmed up.