Surveillance without warrant
The honorable Senator 8/15/
Washington, DC 20510
I'm writing you to oppose the newly passed law (Passed in Senate on Aug. 3, signed by Bush on Aug. 5) which gives government expanded surveillance authority without court approval.
I urge you to re-consider the law because of the following reason:
1. The proposed bill is a violation of the Constitution and an affront to our civil rights as US citizens. It especially damaged the Fourth Amendment which protecting people from unreasonable search and arrest.
It's easy for coruptive police to manipulate a "terrorist suspect" to e-mail, or dialogue in an internet forum, to frame innocent people. (In Miame terror cell case of 2006, a FBI informant had instructed the cell member to attack FBI office ).
2. There is no reason to say old FISA rule doesn't work. Under which the government can do eavesdropping any time when it requires. Even if it's in emergence, they can wiretap first and submit an application to court later. Nothing hinder their surveillance work.
A surveillance without warrant means a blank check to the secret police. It opens the door to a fascist country.
3. Surveillance not only means eavesdropping, it also means harassment. FBI, DEA are notorious for abusing power. They harass, plant and frame case. There is lack of a surveillance on these so said "law enforcement". The new law gives them further more room for abusing power. It is an attack on the principle of Check and Balance.
4. A negative side of this law from my personal experience. I posted a lot in internet web forum. I used to reveal the dark side of the government, especially about the law enforcement. I suffered continuous harassment from the Feds cyberspace team. Recently I was blocked from three web sites. (two of them are media's web site)
(1) On Aug. 1, blocked to enter "http://p067.ezboard.com/fdenverpostnewsfrm9 " by technical problem.
(2) On Aug. 4, banned to enter "http://forum.signonsandiego.com/upload/index.php?"
(3) On Aug. 5, banned to enter "http://forums.shoutwire.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=7"
Since my posting were all of political opinion, there was no reason to ban me accessing the site. The ban is so thorough that I couldn't complain nor read. I allege it was from surveillance team not from the web site. I think it was done when Feds (FBI, DEA) has been inspired and encouraged by the would passing new surveillance law.
In conclusion, I urge you to re-consider the new intelligence surveillance law, at least do some amendment to limit the unrestricted power of law enforcement. I also urge you to investigate the abusing in internet communication caused by the Feds (FBI, DEA). (see below)
Kat Hak Sung