You are herecontent / United for Peace and Justice
United for Peace and Justice
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FOR CINDY SHEEHAN!
* Join a vigil this Wednesday, Aug. 17.
* Organize a vigil, rally, or protest this Saturday, Aug. 20 and list it on our calendar.
* Join Cindy and thousands more at our massive anti-war protest on Sept. 24 in Washington, D.C.
See below for other action ideas.
In a way that rarely happens, the action of one woman has touched the hearts of people in every corner of the country, moving many to take some action themselves. Since August 6, Cindy Sheehan has been camping outside the Bush ranch in Crawford, Texas. Her straightforward request for a meeting with the president has been met with the same arrogance this administration has shown most of the world. But while her call for an end to the U.S. war and occupation in Iraq is being ignored by the president, it is resonating with people from all walks of life.
Scores of other Gold Star Parents (people whose sons or daughters have been killed in this war) and military families (people whose loved ones are in Iraq or have served there) have joined Cindy in Crawford, and hundreds of others have stopped by for a few hours or several days. And around the country there are vigils, rallies, marches, and other actions where people are adding their voice to the simple demand: Meet with Cindy!
The encampment in Crawford will continue until Bush meets with this mother whose son was killed fighting in a war that never should have happened, or Bush leaves his vacation home and returns to Washington, D.C. United for Peace and Justice urges you to join this effort by taking action in your own community. As strong as the presence is in Crawford, the power of our movement rests in what each of us does in our own home towns. This national movement to end the war in Iraq must be as visible and as determined as Cindy Sheehan!
Here's what you can do:
1) On Wednesday, August 17, True Majority, Democracy for America, and MoveOn.org are organizing local vigils. Find out what's planned near you by clicking here. Or organize a vigil in your neighborhood and list it by clicking here.
2) This Saturday, August 20 organize a vigil, picket, rally, or other public protest in front of your local Federal Building, or any central location in your town. Even if you had a vigil on Wednesday evening, we urge you to be out on the streets and visible during the day on Saturday. Demand that the president talk with Cindy and the other Gold Star parents and military families. Be sure to list any activity you are organizing this weekend or at any time on the calendar on our UFPJ web site.
3) Flood the White House with phone calls. Let them know that we support Cindy and that we want George W. Bush to take the time out of his vacation to go out and meet with her! The number for the White House comment line is 202-456-1111.
4) Make sure your local news outlets are continuing to cover this story and your local anti-war activities. Call the editor of your paper, and contact producers of radio shows to encourage their ongoing coverage of this important news.
Cindy will be speaking at UFPJ's massive anti-war protest in Washington, D.C. on September 24. This may be the most important anti-war demonstration yet. Make your plans now to join Cindy and thousands in D.C., and help make September 24 the largest ever demonstration against the war. Click here to receive email updates about the protest, and visit the fall mobilization section of the website for the outreach materials, bus tickets, and the latest details about the three days of action from September 24-26.
You can also help ensure the success of the September anti-war actions by making the most generous donation possible right now, or signing up for our new sustainer program. Your financial support will translate into more leaflets, more phone banking, and more organizing for this urgently needed massive march on Washington.
END THE WAR ON IRAQ! BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW!
Massive 3-day mobilization in Washington, D.C.
September 24-26, 2005
Visit our website today to download leaflets, endorse the mobilization, and learn more about the plans for this powerful weekend of action