Dont Forget Nabeel Rajab
Nabeel Rajab, the co-founder of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, a human rights defender, and a prominent figure in Bahrain’s pro-democracy struggle, remains in prison in Bahrain, serving a two-year sentence for calling for “illegal gatherings,” after already having served three months for tweeting a critical comment about the Bahraini regime.
Human rights activists in Bahrain and internationally are organizing a Global Week of Action for Nabeel from March 21-28. To help free Nabeel, we need you to join us in taking action!
Working in partnership with human rights organizations, the week will include peaceful rallies around the world calling for Nabeel's release, advocacy, and a massive social media push, using videos, photos, Twitter, Facebook and the participation of prominent musicians and public figures to publicize Nabeel’s unjust imprisonment and the plight of prisoners of conscience in Bahrain.
We call on you to join in the Global Week of Action. By calling collectively for Nabeel’s release, and the release of all Bahraini prisoners of conscience, we are acting in support of the basic human rights of nonviolent assembly and freedom of speech.
For those around the world:
Demonstrations are already being organized in Washington DC on March 22 and in London, Cairo, Paris, and Kuwait, on March 23. Dublin is holding an Awareness Day for Nabeel Rajab. Click here for more information about actions in your city and see details below:
- Washington DC
March 22, 1 p.m.
Embassy of Kingdom of Bahrain, 3502 International Dr NW, Washington, DC 20008
Co-sponsored by Code Pink and Witness Bahrain
For more information, doolr
March 23, 2 p.m.
In front of the Prime Minister’s office, Westminister, 10 Downing Street
- Kuwait City
Umbrella Kuwait Action
Hunger Strike and seminar about Nabeel
March 23, 7:30 p.m.
March 23, 11 a.m. until late afternoon
There will be an awareness stand in Dublin City Centre, handing out informational leaflets about Nabeel and a petition for people to sign.
Twitter acc @ireland4nabeel and Face book page ireland F nabeel.
We encourage you to organize a demonstration or vigil in your hometown during the Global Week of Action. You can include Nabeel's image by printing a photo of him. Register your action at firstname.lastname@example.org
so we can post it on the campaign website. Be sure to tweet photos and videos of your public action to @dont4getnabeelr
and email them to email@example.com
Other ways to support the campaign:
If you are from one of the states with a Senator on the Foreign Relations Committee, please call your Senator with the following request. If you do not have a Senator on the Foreign Relations Committee, please call the Chair of the Committee. (Committee members and phone numbers listed below)
- Tweet about Nabeel, using #Dont_forget_NabeelRajab to signify your support.
Photograph one of these images of Nabeel with a lit candle next to it. Tweet your photograph to @dont4getnabeelr, and upload it to Instagram @dont4getnabeelrajab, email it to Nabeelrajeb@gmail.com, then set it as your social media profile picture with the campaign’s twitter ribbon.
- Sign the Avaaz petition urging the Bahraini government to release Nabeel
- Share the courage of Bahraini activists with your friends by posting Facebook, Google+ and Skype statuses in support of Nabeel.
- Be creative! If you participate in an action other than the ones recommended here, we’d love to hear about it. Write a poem, or a song, or create a piece of art in honor of Nabeel and in support of freedom! Tweet what you’re doing to stand behind Nabeel, human rights and civil liberties to @dont4getnabeelr, upload images to Instagram @dont4getnabeelrajab and email us at Nabeelrajeb@gmail.com
- FOR U.S. CITIZENS: Contact the offices of members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, urging the committee to hold a hearing on Bahrain, with a focus on prisoners of conscience, and particularly Nabeel Rajab.