It was noted in the 9/24/13 issue of the UT San Diego, that the 5 San Diego County Supervisors voted unanimously to approve a large portion of Southern California, including San Diego County, as one of the proposed 6 national Drone Test Sites, to be determined by the FAA in December, 2013.
This idea was originally proposed by the San Diego Military Advisory Council, and the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corp.
There have been no public forums, informational hearings or opportunities for concerned citizens to ask about the drone test sites, and to express concerns and public input. In fact, many area residents do not even know that this proposal is being considered.
A newly formed concerned citizens group, BACK COUNTRY VOICES, is taking action, and sponsoring 2 public meeting venues, to raise awareness, gather information, and express concerns about San Diego County possibly becoming 1 of 6 national drone test sites, and what that would mean to our safety, privacy and environment.
The 'BCV' has invited knowledgeable drone experts, politicians on both sides of the aisl e, members of the FAA, ACLU, Bill of Rights Defense Committee, S.D. Veterans for Peace Foundation, Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen), San Diego Coalition for Peace and Justice, Sen. Boxer, firefighters, environmentalist, and others, to present the community with factual information on what’s at stake for San Diego being a 'National Testing Site for Drones.'
November 11 (Veteran's Day) 6-8 p.m. JULIAN COUNTY LIBRARY
1850 HWY 78
Julian, CA 92036
December 4th, 6:30-8 p.m. JULIAN TOWN HALL
2129 Main St.
Julian, CA 92036
- Our concerns fall mainly into 3 categories: Safety, Privacy, and Environmental impact.
- We are seeking further information on:
- Where will the drones be flying, departing from, how low will they fly?
- What are the drones testing (military applications, surveillance, infra-red, high/low frequency)?
- What are the safety concerns (crashing, high power lines, injury, fire, noise, lasers)?
- What would be the impact on residents in test areas (privacy, surveillance, safety)?
- What entities are responsible for regulating and controlling the drone testing?
- What are the environmental impacts (nesting eagles, bird migrations, etc.)?
- Should this be subject to a citizen’s vote of approval, as this will impact all residents in the test area?
- What legislative bodies have written regulations that address: Military tests; corporate testing; Police/Fire departments; and Citizen’s use?
- What agencies will investigate and be accountable for accidents, jurisdictions and complaints.
Please join us and share your voice.
Back Country Voices Website